The London Dance Festival invites all local dance artists to apply for the 2021 Virtual Spring Showcase which will be presented online in April. Dancers of all ages and styles are welcome to apply. From all submissions, we will select approximately 10-15 pieces. Selected artists will be awarded an honorarium for their presentation. The showcase will be presented online (date and format will be announced soon), and audiences will be asked to make a donation.
VARIATION, or doing things a little differently, is the theme of this showcase. These strange pandemic times are a variation on normal, but people are also craving a change in the repetition of our locked down and restricted lives. In dance, the term variation describes short dances or choreographies that are part of a larger piece, and in ballet it often refers to a solo. Artists will interpret this theme through their movements, their chosen film location, and/or the way in which they film their work.
We are looking for:
- Dance pieces 2 to 5 minutes long, in any dance style (got something longer? Email us to discuss)
- Dances specifically made or adapted for video, with consideration given to location, lighting, and video angles
- Videos filmed by the artist in a minimum resolution of 1080p, in landscape format (horizontally)
- Movement and music content appropriate for a family audience
- A rehearsal and filming process that maintains Covid safety protocols
- Applications must be submitted by March 27, 2021
- Finished video pieces must be submitted by April 10 to be included in the showcase
We’ll be reviewing submissions as they come in, and you should hear from us within two weeks of applying. All applicants will receive a response by April 3rd.